In life, there are always patients who cannot insist on taking the medicine correctly, either miss the time or secretly reduce the amount, and some simply ignore the doctor’s advice and stop taking the medicine by themselves.
Hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism do not look as deadly as myocardial infarction, stroke and other diseases, but if they are not medicated, they may also endanger their lives and be sent to the intensive care unit.
The Killer of Hyperthyroidism-Hyperthyroidism Crisis
Hyperthyroidism crisis is the most serious acute complication of hyperthyroidism. If it is not rescued in time, the mortality rate can reach 50%, and even if it is treated in time, there is still a mortality rate of 5% ~ 15%.
The following manifestations occur when hyperthyroidism crisis occurs:
- High fever; To be soaked with sweat; Tachycardia, heartbeat more than 140 times in one minute; Anxiety and anxiety; Consciousness confusion, trance; Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea; Heart failure; Coma; Shock.
Hyperthyroidism crisis is easy to occur in the following people:
- Severe illness; Untreated or inadequately treated; Infection, intense mental stimulation, overwork or surgery; Inadequate preparation before iodine 131 treatment.
The killer of hypothyroidism-hypothyroidism crisis
Hypothyroidism crisis, also known as [myxoedema coma], is the most serious complication of hypothyroidism. Even if treated in time, the mortality rate can reach 50%, and the mortality rate is even higher if not treated in time.
Myxoedema coma has the following symptoms:
- Obvious aversion to cold, weakness, lethargy and edema; Body temperature drops, generally below 36 ℃; Hypoglycemia; Hypotension; Breathing is shallow and fast; Skin bruises, gingival bleeding, black stool or bloody stool; From lethargy to unconsciousness, gradually into coma.
Myxoedema coma is prone to the following conditions:
- Hypothyroidism is serious. Hypothyroidism has not been treated or is not treated adequately; Cold and low temperature environment, so mucous edema coma mostly occurs in winter; Infection, or intense mental stimulation, or cardiovascular and cerebrovascular accidents, or major surgery; Patients with hypothyroidism use sedatives, anesthetics, etc. Old people.
How to avoid these serious complications
From the above description, it is not difficult to find that the root cause of hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism crisis is untreated or insufficient dosage, and the inducing factors include infection, major surgery, mental stimulation, overwork, cold, other major diseases, etc.
Therefore, the following 8 points can effectively prevent the occurrence of crisis:
1. Follow the doctor’s advice
Do not stop taking drugs without authorization, nor do you reduce the dosage casually. Regular review of a skill within the specified time.
Step 2 Avoid infections
Pay attention to keeping warm in winter to prevent colds. Pay attention to food hygiene to prevent gastroenteritis; Take a bath frequently, change clothes and quilts frequently, and keep skin clean. Drink plenty of water, do not hold your urine, and prevent urinary tract infection…
Step 3 Ready for reoperation
Before the operation, the doctor was informed that he had thyroid problems and received major surgery after controlling hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism.
Step 4 Avoid great sorrow and happiness
In case of major mental trauma, we should communicate more with others and get timely support, help and guidance from family members, friends and psychological consultants.
Step 5 Avoid overwork
If you have hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism, you should give priority to rest, exercise vigorously and do heavy physical work first, and do it after thyroid function returns to normal.
6. Keep warm in winter
The elderly should pay special attention, because mucous edema coma mostly occurs in the elderly.
7. Iodine 131 will be done after a comprehensive assessment.
Hyperthyroidism patients should have a comprehensive examination before iodine 131 treatment, evaluate their condition, and drink liquid medicine after doctors judge it is suitable for iodine 131 treatment.
8. Pay more attention to the elderly in the family,
The elderly are different from the young. Sometimes they are very seriously ill and look nothing unusual. Some old people are afraid of their children’s worries and do not tell their children in time if they feel uncomfortable.
Therefore, if the elderly in the family have hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism, they should pay more attention to the changes of their illness and urge them to take medicine on time to avoid serious consequences.