When May was pregnant for about 40 days, her appetite began to deteriorate, and she felt nauseous and nauseous when she smelled some smell. At first she didn’t take it seriously. As the old saying goes, “Women have to vomit when they are pregnant, and it will be fine after a period of time.”
But slowly, May began to vomit whatever she ate. She was either vomiting or preparing to vomit all day long. The whole person was groggy and lifeless. As the days passed, there was no sign of relief.
Husband a Qiang finally succumbed and took May to the hospital.
The doctor inquired about the condition in detail, read May’s blood and urine examination report, and directly issued the hospitalization form.
The couple are a little confused. How can pregnancy vomiting, which is the most common, still need hospitalization?
Hyperemesis gravidarum is what?
Let’s start with May’s diagnosis.
Hyperemesis gravidarum, which can be regarded as an enhanced version of [vomiting during pregnancy], often occurs around 40 days of pregnancy.
According to the current research, doctors believe that pregnancy vomiting is related to hCG level because the time when pregnancy vomiting occurs and disappears is consistent with the time when blood hCG level rises and falls. In addition, pregnancy vomiting is also related to the mental state of the pregnant mother, and nervous and anxious pregnant women tend to vomit more severely.
If the pregnant mother vomits all the time, the required nutrition and energy supply will not keep up with it, and the body will mobilize adipose tissue to decompose the energy supply, which will correspondingly produce some acidic substances, such as acetone. These substances accumulate in the pregnant woman’s body and will lead to metabolic acidosis.
In addition, vomiting will expel a large amount of water, vitamins and electrolytes, which in severe cases will lead to dehydration, vitamin deficiency, electrolyte disorders, etc., and even appear-
- Coagulation dysfunction: Pregnant women may suffer from epistaxis, subperiosteal hemorrhage or retinal hemorrhage. Wernicke syndrome: Clinical manifestations include nystagmus, visual impairment, ataxia, acute speech increase, gradual mental retardation, lethargy, individual stiffness or coma, and mortality rate can reach more than 50%.
Therefore, if pregnancy vomiting is very serious, we must pay attention to it!
When do you need to see a doctor for pregnancy vomiting?
- The number of vomiting is more than 3 times a day; Eat anything to vomit, liquid also can’t swallow; Weight loss of more than 5%.
If the above situation exists, it is necessary to consider seeing a doctor in time.
Usually they are given intravenous infusion, electrolyte and water supplement, and those with poor nutrition also need intravenous supplement of nutrients such as amino acids and fat emulsion. Doctors will also add antiemetic drugs and drugs to correct acidosis according to the actual situation.
Generally speaking, through systematic treatment, pregnant women can be relieved after 2-3 days.
However, if vomiting cannot be relieved after active treatment, and even persistent jaundice, proteinuria, fever (body temperature ≥ 38 ℃), accelerated heart rate (heart rate greater than 120 beats/minute), Wernicke syndrome, etc. occur, pregnancy needs to be terminated to ensure the life safety of the pregnant mother.
Maybe it’s more than vomiting… … …
It is worth noting that vomiting during pregnancy is not all pregnancy vomiting.
If pregnant women are accompanied by acute hepatitis and gastroenteritis, they will also show severe vomiting.
There is also a kind of vomiting, which is one of the clinical manifestations of hydatidiform mole and trophoblastic tumor.
Some diseases such as hydatidiform mole and trophoblastic tumor will lead to abnormal increase of blood HCG level, early occurrence of pregnancy vomiting, long duration and more serious symptoms.
In this case, treating it simply as vomiting during pregnancy will delay the illness. Gynecologists are required to accurately diagnose and identify it.
What if you always want to vomit?
1. Maintain indoor air circulation and try not to go to places with especially dense crowds.
2. Keep the mood happy, not too nervous, and correctly understand the physiological phenomenon of pregnancy vomiting.
3. If the fresh aroma of lemon and orange can relieve pregnancy vomiting, smell it more.
4. Drink plenty of water, warm boiled water, soda water, freshly squeezed fruit juice, non-greasy soup, etc., which can not only replenish water, but also properly supplement multivitamins and electrolytes.
5. The diet should be light and delicious, easy to digest, and avoid overweight stomach burden. Porridge with yam, vegetable leaves and lean meat powder, and chicken soup with non-greasy nutrition are all good choices.
6. Eat when your stomach is not so uncomfortable, eat less and eat more, and do not overeat.
7. In case of severe vomiting, go to the hospital for treatment in time.
In short, parents-to-be should not only face pregnancy vomiting with relaxation and broad heart, but also go to the hospital for treatment immediately to find out the exact cause when certain symptoms suggesting hyperemesis gravidarum occur.
May all expectant mothers smoothly pass the pregnancy reaction period and welcome the arrival of new life.