People like to compare the eyes to the windows of the heart. The eyelids are like a pair of curtains, hanging on the surface of the eyes and completing the work of opening and closing according to a certain rhythm.
However, eyelids sometimes become naughty, that is eyelid jump.
When it comes to eyelid jumping, most people think of [left eye jumping for money, right eye jumping for disaster]. This statement is superstitious and has no reason at all, but many people are willing to believe it.
So, is what causing eyelid jump? Is it a disease?
Most eyelid jumps are physiological
In medicine, it is called [eyelid tremor] or [spasm], is the nerve or eye muscle after being stimulated to produce tremor. Said is eyelid jump, actually is the eye muscle such as orbicularis oculi muscle, eyelid lift muscle under nerve innervation to vibrate, and then drive the skin to beat.
This kind of tremor cannot be controlled by human beings, and its appearance or cessation is often not affected by human will.
1. Drinking coffee can cause eyelid jump,
Researchers at the University of New York found that drinking coffee may increase the risk of eyelid jumping.
They believe that coffee can increase the secretion of excitatory neurotransmitters such as dopamine and norepinephrine, thus stimulating orbicularis oculi muscle and corresponding nerve impulses, causing eyelid jump.
The principle of eyelid jump caused by mental stress is roughly similar.
2. Physiological eyelid jump does not need to be treated.
Most eyelid jumps are physiological.
In other words, it seems that you can’t find the reason, and it suddenly beats. Even if it suddenly stops and disappears on its own, you can’t say why.
For physiological eyelid jump, people often attribute it to the following reasons:
- Mental stress, excessive use of alcohol and tobacco, eye fatigue, lack of sleep and drug factors
This kind of eyelid beating can be relieved without treatment.
There are many local methods among the people, such as pasting red paper or straw on beating eyelids. Unfortunately, these practices have no scientific basis.
In a word, physiological eyelid jump is a spontaneous symptom and has a feeling of “coming without a trace”.
When you have eyelid jumping, if your eyes happen to be dry and sour, this is a reminder that you need to have a proper rest due to excessive use of your eyes.
Pathological eyelid jump should not be underestimated.
1. Eyelids don’t stop jumping, may be sick
In May 2015, a woman in Chongqing ignored her left eyelid, which had jumped for seven years, because she believed in the superstition of “left eye jumping for money”. As a result, the left eyelid jump became more and more serious, lasting from a few seconds to several minutes at the beginning, and finally turned into a twitch on the left corner of the mouth or even the whole left face.
The examination found that it was the blood vessels that compressed the root of the facial nerve, causing eyelid jump and facial twitch. Finally, the blood vessels were separated from the nerve by microvascular decompression, thus solving the problem.
Therefore, if the eyelid jump continues and does not mean to stop, then be careful.
This type of eyelid jump, Most of them are pathological, and may be a clinical symptom of frontal, cranial or systemic diseases, belonging to one of many somatic symptoms. If eyelid jump cannot relieve itself, or even continues to aggravate, causing tremor or twitch on the same side, it should be timely to see a doctor and inform the doctor of the corresponding situation in order to further diagnose and treat.
2. Diseases that cause eyelid jumping, many
There are many reasons for pathological eyelid jump.
- Common ones include trichiasis, conjunctivitis, keratitis, ocular trauma, encephalitis, cerebrovascular diseases, etc. Less common ones include: Bell’s palsy (simple peripheral facial palsy), muscular dystonia, spastic torticollis, Tourette’s syndrome, etc., and even some patients are related to genetic factors.
For example, there is a chronic eyelid jump called benign primary blepharospasm. According to statistics, this happens in five out of every 100,000 people.
This benign primary eyelid beat is often chronic, and it is the uncontrolled blinking, squeezing and eyelid closure of both eyes without being affected by the environment.
After eliminating or treating other causes, the most effective way to stop this annoying eyelid jump is to inject botulinum toxin locally. It can relax the muscles under the eyelid, reduce their tremor and help prevent spasms.
Solution to Eyelid Jump
1. How to deal with it at home?
When eyelid jump occurs, the following methods can be tried first:
- Reduce the intake of tea, wine and coffee and reduce smoking. Maintain adequate sleep; Keep the cornea moist, such as not staring at the electronic screen for a long time or using artificial tears intermittently. Wash your face with hot water or apply a hot towel to your face.
2. When should I see a doctor?
If eyelid jump continues to occur and cannot be relieved by the above methods, the occurrence time and duration of eyelid jump should be recorded.
You should not hesitate to go to the hospital for professional medical treatment when the following situations occur:
- Eyelid jump lasts for more than one week; The eyelid is completely closed and it is difficult to open eyes. Eyelid jumping causes face twitching at the same time; Eyelid jumping is accompanied by red eyes, acidity and tears.