Iodine 131 therapy is a large part of hyperthyroidism treatment. Many people think it is a radioactive element and will cause damage to the body. However, research shows that radioactive iodine 131 therapy will not increase the risk of thyroid cancer.
After taking iodine 131 preparation, will you feel what?
STEP 1 On the day of administration
Most people do not feel anything after taking iodine 131 preparation, and a small number of people may feel nauseous.
2. Days after taking it
A few people may have dry mouth, fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea, skin coquettish, neck swelling and pain, most of which are not very serious. When necessary, doctors will treat them symptomatically.
3. Take the medicine within two weeks
Due to the removal of some thyroid tissues by taking iodine 131 preparation, thyroid hormones originally stored in these tissues have nowhere to go and enter the blood, which may cause symptoms of hyperthyroidism aggravation.
Be sure to pay attention to these symptoms and give appropriate drug treatment under the guidance of doctors. If left unchecked, complications of [hyperthyroidism crisis] may occur in severe cases.
Is hyperthyroidism crisis what? It is a serious complication of hyperthyroidism and can endanger life.
Step 4 After four weeks of medication
The symptoms of hyperthyroidism in most people will gradually ease and disappear, and the swollen neck will slowly fade and return to normal.
Will hypothyroidism occur after taking iodine 131?
A small number of people may still have hyperthyroidism and need iodine 131 treatment again.
However, most people may suffer from hypothyroidism, and with the extension of time after treatment, the greater the probability of occurrence, which is an inevitable process.
However, the occurrence of hypothyroidism is not terrible. Compared with hyperthyroidism, hyperthyroidism is more harmful, complications are more serious, and the toxic and side effects of antithyroid drugs are large, while thyroid hormones taken by hypothyroidism are safe and simple.
Is iodine 131 inaccessible to people after treatment?
People taking iodine 131 therapy will cause certain radiation to people close to them before iodine 131 is removed from their bodies.
However, this dose is very small and will not cause serious damage.
It is generally recommended that one week after treatment:
- Keep a distance of about 2 meters from others; Try not to contact pregnant women and infants; If you are still breast-feeding, suspend breast-feeding; Don’t share tableware with others; Drink more water and urinate more. After using the toilet, put two more pools of water to flush. Personal articles, including toothbrushes, towels, tableware and bedding, are used separately. If the above points can be achieved and pregnant women and infants do not need to be contacted during work, they can work normally. If you plan to get pregnant, you should reconsider it half a year after treatment.
Can radioactive iodine in the body be removed from what?
- This has something to do with the dosage you take. The dosage is large and the time is long. It also has something to do with age. Young people metabolize faster, while old people metabolize slower. It is also related to the amount of drinking water. It is recommended to drink more water and urinate more.
Please ask your doctor for specific time of [isolation].
Do you need reexamination after iodine 131 treatment?
If necessary, the frequency of reexamination that may be required by different hospitals and different conditions is slightly different. It is suggested that:
After treatment, the reexamination is conducted once a month for three consecutive months, and then once every six months. After stabilization, the reexamination time can also be extended to once a year.
In addition to paying attention to [radiation] problems, what other precautions are there after iodine 131 treatment?
1. Pay attention to rest and don’t overwork;
2. Maintain a good mood and avoid mental stimulation;
3. Drink more water and urinate more.
4. Ban smoking and alcohol, and avoid eating foods rich in iodine and spicy and stimulating foods before hyperthyroidism is cured;
5. Pay attention to observe whether there are symptoms of hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism, and seek medical treatment in time in case of discomfort;
6. Adhere to the review.