The 42-day examination after delivery does not necessarily need to be conducted on the 42nd day. It doesn’t matter a few days earlier or a few days later.
Some people say that all the children have been born well, as if everything is all right. Why do you need to have a postpartum examination? If you really don’t want to come, the doctor will not force you. If you come for examination, the doctor still has many problems to communicate with you.
42 days after delivery, check what?
Know the cervical situation, see if there is lochia. If you have done episiotomy, you should also look at the wound healing, press the uterus floor, and understand the involution of the uterus.
If it is cesarean section, the healing of abdominal wounds should also be checked.
Frequently Asked Questions about New Mothers
Encourage exclusive breastfeeding for 4-6 months, then continue breastfeeding and gradually add supplementary foods. If there are problems with breastfeeding, you can further consult a breastfeeding consultant.
If there is breast discomfort, it can be further handled by breast doctors. Not every obstetrician can handle breast discomfort and breast feeding problems. Breast feeding consultants and breast doctors are more professional.
Lochia can resume sexual life when it is completely clean, but it is better to use condoms, because ovulation and pregnancy are still possible before menstruation resumes.
For the vast majority of breast-feeding mothers, menstruation will not occur during breast-feeding, but a few mothers will menstruate during breast-feeding.
After postpartum lochia is clean, vaginal bleeding occurs for several days, which does not necessarily mean menstruation. It takes about a month to see if bleeding similar to menstruation will occur again. If it comes again, it is menstruation. If you don’t come, it is vaginal bleeding, not menstruation.
Breastfeeding can still be continued, which will not affect the quality of breast milk.
In theory, you can get pregnant at any time, but it is generally recommended that your child get pregnant after the age of 1.
One is to let the body rest and recover, and the other is that the child can put it down and let TA go after the age of 1 without holding it in his arms all day.
It is generally recommended to be pregnant again after at least 18 months (1.5 years).
Because pregnancy will take place after 18 months, the wound in the lower segment of the uterus can basically heal and restore more than 80% of the tension. If vaginal delivery is tried again, the risk of uterine rupture will be significantly reduced.
- One month later: regular activities can be resumed, mainly walking; After 2 months: you can resume general exercise, including fast walking; After 3 months: Most exercise before pregnancy can be resumed.
It can be postponed for 15-30 days on the basis of natural labor.
Since everyone’s physical recovery is different, when to resume exercise and how much exercise to master is mainly based on physical comfort.
What tests should the baby have?
Since newborns can’t talk, we doctors joke that neonatologists are a bit like veterinarians. They can’t ask babies for medical history, but adults for medical history. If the mother doesn’t take care of the children herself, you’d better take the person in charge of taking care of the children.
1. General inquiries: including the status at home, crying, nursing, defecation and urination, illness and medical treatment, vaccination, etc.
2. Physical examination: including general state, skin, limb movement, cardiopulmonary auscultation, abdominal palpation, vulva observation, targeted examination according to parents’ questions, and investigation of serious organ diseases.
3. Physical measurement: including weight, length and head circumference, to evaluate the physical growth of the baby during this period of time after returning home, and to judge whether there are nutritional problems, feeding problems or hidden diseases.
4. Feeding guidance: This includes asking about feeding with what formula milk in addition to breastfeeding, listening to parents’ problems found during feeding and answering them. At the same time, asking about defecation and urination to help judge whether feeding is tolerant and sufficient, and whether the milk formula is suitable.
How is it? There is still a lot to check and communicate.
Of course, this is a complete set of detailed examinations and exchanges. For busy hospitals and doctors, the process may be faster and the questions may be more concise.
I hope that after reading this article, most of the problems can be solved, so that you don’t have to be so confused when seeing a doctor, and the speed of seeing a doctor will be accelerated.
If you are the mother who visits my clinic, you can tell me that I have read your article during the 42-day examination after delivery, so I don’t need to nag you again like Tang Priest. Alas, as I grow older, I am really afraid that I will become too nagging and trivial.
Responsible Editor: Ji Lingyan