I think many people have experienced it. They coughed so dark that they were flushed with old phlegm in their throat that they could not cough it out. Although cough is a reflex action of the human body, not everyone really knows how to cough up phlegm.
Expecting phlegm is a technical job. The following doctor clove will teach you how to expectorate phlegm scientifically, correctly and effectively, or help those who cannot cough up phlegm themselves to cough up phlegm.
A home-based approach
1. I have the strength to cough
(1) Sit down: First find a comfortable place to sit down and try to sit up straight;
(2) Deep breathing: slowly take deep breaths for 5-6 times, then hold your breath for 3-5 seconds to make you ready to go;
(3) Cough: The mouth pouts (similar to sprouting), slowly spit out the breath just suppressed at this time, and then take a deep breath to hold it for 3-5 seconds. At this time, the body leans forward slightly, the chest exerts force, and makes 2-3 short and powerful coughs.
In the process of cough mentioned above, pay attention to the consistency of movements, and do not pause in the middle.
Special reminder: For those who have chest injuries and dare not cough hard, gently press both sides of the wound with both hands or pillows to wrinkle the skin and soft tissues on both sides of the wound to the wound, which can relieve the pain caused by cough. When necessary, painkillers can be used to relieve the pain of the wound.
2. I don’t have the strength to cough
For those who are ill and weak for a long time, stay in bed for a long time, and are unable to expel phlegm, another person is required to help expel phlegm by slapping his hand. Rapid and powerful slapping can shake the airway, thus enabling phlegm to be discharged smoothly.
(1) Preparation: Let the patient lie on his side or sit, and the finger of the person who patted the phlegm bend inward and shake with the strength of his wrist;
(2) Slapping site: behind or on the chest of the patient, from the lower back up and from both sides inward; Attention should be paid to avoid the protruding parts of breasts, heart and bones, as well as the zippers and buttons on clothes.
(3) Speed and time: 2-3 times per second, with 1-3 minutes of upper, middle and lower beats on both sides of the back; If there is too much phlegm, it can be repeated every few hours. Take another shot about an hour after the meal.
Special reminder: When shooting, you should hear a [empty] sound. When shooting, you should also pay attention to the patient’s reaction. If dizziness, asthma, accelerated heartbeat and even purple occur, you should stop in time and seek professional help.
3. Aerosol inhalation of drug
Sometimes the phlegm is too thick to cough up easily, you can directly inhale some phlegm-reducing and anti-inflammatory drugs through the respiratory tract. At this time, you need to use a special atomizer. It can disperse the liquid medicine into small droplets, spray them out in the form of aerosol, and inhale them directly through the nose or mouth.
When doing atomization therapy, the patient himself or his family helps to hold the atomizer, wraps the outlet of the atomizer with his mouth or wears a mask, and the drug will continuously spray the liquid out, and then normal breathing is enough.
Doctors will prescribe different drugs according to the needs of the disease, and the atomization time and frequency may also be slightly different. If it is urgent, atomization treatment can be done in the hospital. If it is a chronic disease that requires long-term atomization treatment, you can purchase your own atomization equipment.
4. Other treatments
(1) Drink plenty of water: As long as there is no problem of heart failure, it is recommended to drink more than 1 500 mL of water per day. Sufficient water can ensure the moist respiratory tract mucosa, which is conducive to dilution and cough up sputum.
(2) Quit smoking and drinking.
What if you get stuck by phlegm?
Finally, I need to say one more thing. What should I do if it does appear [stuck by an old sputum]?
Calm down, take a deep breath and hit 120.
Don’t panic, in case you make mistakes in your busy schedule. Let people stuck with phlegm take deep breaths and adjust the breathing rate. At the same time, help call 120 for professional help. Doctors may give sputum aspiration or tracheotomy treatment.
I hope that if you can learn these little knowledge, it can be used when needed.
Responsible Editor: Fei Fei
Copyright of Clove Garden. No reprinting is allowed without permission.